Coverart for item
The Resource ANES 1994 Time Series Study

ANES 1994 Time Series Study

Label
ANES 1994 Time Series Study
Title
ANES 1994 Time Series Study
Creator
Contributor
Author
Contributor
Subject
Genre
Summary
This study is part of a time-series collection of national surveys fielded continuously since 1948. The election studies are designed to present data on Americans' social backgrounds, enduring political predispositions, social and political values, perceptions and evaluations of groups and candidates, opinions on public policy issues, and participation in political life. The 1994 National Election Study is a post-election interview in which approximately 42 percent of the cases are empaneled respondents first interviewed in the ANES 1992 TIME SERIES STUDY (ICPSR 6067) and later in the ANES 1993 PANEL STUDY (ICPSR 6264). The other 58 percent of the cases are a freshly drawn cross-section sample. The panel component of the study focuses on the special features of the 1992-1994 elections: a minority president struggling to forge a majority coalition in the face of a strong third-party challenge, and the replacement in 1992 of fully one-quarter of the House of Representatives. Coming at the end of this period, the 1994 National Election Study provides insights into how electoral coalitions form and decay, and how members of the House who were newly-elected in 1992 managed, or failed to secure their districts. The study design themes became especially salient in the aftermath of the November 8 election, when control of the Congress shifted to the Republican Party for the first time since 1952. Survey questions included the standard National Election Studies battery of congressional evaluations supplemented by questions on term limits, the respondents' representatives' votes on President Bill Clinton's crime bill, and whether respondents felt that their representatives cared more about their own prestige and influence than about solving the problems of their congressional districts. The content of the 1994 Election Study reflects its dual purpose, both as the traditional presidential election year time-series data collection and as the third wave of a panel study. In addition to the standard demographic items, respondents were asked about their opinions on the following substantive themes: interest in the campaign, media exposure, presidential performance evaluation, measures of partisanship (party likes/dislikes and party identification), which party would better handle certain public problems, summary evaluations (feeling thermometers) on major political figures and social groups, and recent voting behavior. Respondents were also asked about their views on issues such as defense spending, assistance to Blacks, the trade-off between spending and services, health insurance, the role of women, recent proposals to reform welfare, preferences on federal budget allocations, and evaluations of past and prospective economic trends. They were also queried on the extent of their participation in the campaign and their values regarding egalitarianism, attitudes toward race, school prayer, and abortion
http://library.link/vocab/creatorName
  • Rosenstone, Steven J
  • Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor]
http://library.link/vocab/relatedWorkOrContributorName
  • Kinder, Donald R.
  • Miller, Warren E.
  • University of Michigan. Institute for Social Research. American National Election Studies
Label
ANES 1994 Time Series Study
Instantiates
Publication
Note
  • 1992--1994
  • 6507
Control code
ICPSR06507.v3
Governing access note
Access restricted to subscribing institutions
Label
ANES 1994 Time Series Study
Publication
Note
  • 1992--1994
  • 6507
Control code
ICPSR06507.v3
Governing access note
Access restricted to subscribing institutions

Library Locations

    • Ladd LibraryBorrow it
      48 Campus Ave, Lewiston, ME, 04240, US
      44.105245 -70.203443
Processing Feedback ...