Coverart for item
The Resource ANES 1996 Time Series Study

ANES 1996 Time Series Study

Label
ANES 1996 Time Series Study
Title
ANES 1996 Time Series Study
Creator
Contributor
Author
Subject
Genre
Summary
This study is part of a time-series collection of national surveys fielded continuously since 1948, designed to present data on Americans' social backgrounds, enduring political predispositions, social and political values, perceptions and evaluations of groups and candidates, opinions on questions of public policy, and participation in political life. The 1996 National Election Study contains both a pre- and a post-election component. The pre-election survey includes interviews in which approximately 77 percent of the cases are empaneled respondents who were first interviewed in the ANES 1992 TIME SERIES STUDY (ICPSR 6067) or the ANES 1994 TIME SERIES STUDY (ICPSR 6507), or both. The other 23 percent of the pre-election cases are a freshly drawn cross-section sample. Of the 1,714 citizens interviewed during the pre-election stage, 1,534 (89.5 percent) also participated in the post-election survey: 1,197 of these respondents were panel cases and 337 were cross-section. The content of the 1996 Election Study reflects its dual function, both as a traditional presidential election year time-series data collection and as a panel study. Substantive themes presented in the 1996 questionnaires included interest in political campaigns, evaluations of the political parties, knowledge and evaluation of the presidential and House candidates, political participation (including turnout in the presidential primaries and in the November general election as well as other forms of electoral campaign activity), and vote choices for president, the United States House of Representatives, and the United States Senate. Additional items focus on perceptions of personal and national economic well-being, positions on social welfare issues like the role of government in the provision of jobs and a good standard of living, positions on social issues (including abortion, women's roles, and prayer in the schools), racial and ethnic stereotypes, opinions on affirmative action, attitudes toward immigrants, opinions about the nation's most important problems, political predispositions, social altruism, social networks, feeling thermometers for a wide range of political figures and political groups, affinity with various social groups. The 1996 study also includes new measures related to the dynamics of the congressional campaign, questions regarding the importance of issues, and the respondents' level of certainty regarding their expressed opinions, as well as new items about crime, the environment, gun control and income inequality. An eight-minute module of questions included in the post-election survey was developed by a consortium of electoral scholars from 52 polities to facilitate comparative analysis of political attitudes and voting behavior. Social capital items assess trust in people and government as well as membership and activity in a wide variety of social, political, religious, and civic organizations. A full complement of variables on group membership and participation is also available in the Group Membership File which can be merged with the Main Data File. Detailed demographic information is provided, as well as measures of religious affiliation and religiosity
http://library.link/vocab/creatorName
Rosenstone, Steven J
http://library.link/vocab/relatedWorkOrContributorName
  • Kinder, Donald R.
  • Miller, Warren E.
  • National Election Studies. University of Michigan. Center for Political Studies
Label
ANES 1996 Time Series Study
Instantiates
Publication
Note
  • 1992--1996
  • 6896
Control code
ICPSR06896.v6
Governing access note
Access restricted to subscribing institutions
Label
ANES 1996 Time Series Study
Publication
Note
  • 1992--1996
  • 6896
Control code
ICPSR06896.v6
Governing access note
Access restricted to subscribing institutions

Library Locations

    • Ladd LibraryBorrow it
      48 Campus Ave, Lewiston, ME, 04240, US
      44.105245 -70.203443
Processing Feedback ...